Tinkling rattle when changing gear at slow speeds

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
joface

Tinkling rattle when changing gear at slow speeds

Post by joface » Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:37 pm

I'm booked in on Wednesday to have this looked at (along with my dripping silencer) but just wanted your thoughts before I go.

When I'm driving slowly and change from 1st to 2nd at low revs when I dip the clutch I can hear a tinkling sound like I'm just married & dragging along some tin cans. Its really noticeable with the passenger window down more than the drivers window & barely audible with the windows up but since its been warm & i have had the windows down whilst driving through town I can really notice it. There's a slight noise 2nd to 3rd but its mainly 1st to 2nd or when I dip the clutch quickly if i stop quickly. When I'm changing through the gears at revs for example from a standing start on a A road I don't hear anything & I also don't hear it as much on a cold start.

Any ideas or anyone heard anything similar?
1.5TSI EVO SE Manual
White silver with black roof
Sept 2020
21 MY

Impala

Re: Tinkling rattle when changing gear at slow speeds

Post by Impala » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:59 pm

I'm wondering how much of this is your awareness of this sound as other noise levels drop when changing gear, rather than a mechanical clutch or gearbox issue.

Perhaps there is a stone trapped between a brake disc and the backing plate on the passenger side. Try freewheeling slowly with the box in neutral and the clutch out and listen for the noise with the passenger window down. If nothing else it is simple to do just to eliminate this possibility.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Bigwheel

Post by Bigwheel » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:16 pm

There are a lot of moving parts in a dual mass clutch.
We have a fleet of Skoda Fabias and they all make noises from the clutch when dipping the pedal.
1.5 SEL, Manual, Rear Camera, Lumbar Adjust, White Silver, Roof Rail Delete.
Kangaroo ECU update success Sept.'19
Ordered July '18, Collected January '19.

joface

Post by joface » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:43 pm

Impala wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:59 pm
I'm wondering how much of this is your awareness of this sound as other noise levels drop when changing gear, rather than a mechanical clutch or gearbox issue.

Perhaps there is a stone trapped between a brake disc and the backing plate on the passenger side. Try freewheeling slowly with the box in neutral and the clutch out and listen for the noise with the passenger window down. If nothing else it is simple to do just to eliminate this possibility.
I think you might be right, maybe I am very sensitive to noises Although I am convinced its a bit excessive but will get it checked out anyway fully expecting 'no fault found'. I tried freewheeling and couldn't hear anything so at least thats ruled that our thank you.
1.5TSI EVO SE Manual
Sept 2020
21 MY

joface

Post by joface » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:44 pm

Bigwheel wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:16 pm
There are a lot of moving parts in a dual mass clutch.
We have a fleet of Skoda Fabias and they all make noises from the clutch when dipping the pedal.
Thank you, this makes me feel a little less concerned about it :-)
1.5TSI EVO SE Manual
Sept 2020
21 MY

Troc2021

Post by Troc2021 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Did you manage to get a resolution to this? Was it a ‘no fault found’ situation or something more sinister?
Just experienced the exact same issue on our 8 week old T-roc!

joface

Post by joface » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:15 pm

Troc2021 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:44 pm
Did you manage to get a resolution to this? Was it a ‘no fault found’ situation or something more sinister?
Just experienced the exact same issue on our 8 week old T-roc!
sorry yes, the dealer said its just normal gear change noises and nothing actually wrong or fixable so have had to take their word for it but at least its logged should it develop into something else
1.5TSI EVO SE Manual
Sept 2020
21 MY