Reverse Grinding Noise

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
davagius

Reverse Grinding Noise

Post by davagius » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I am a new member of this forum - pleased to meet you all.

Wanted to get some feedback on something that's been bugging me. I own a VW T-ROC 1.5L TSI with 6-speed manual transmission, bought in mid 2018.
Ever since it was new, it had this grinding noise when you put it in reverse gear - sometimes less, sometimes more accentuated.

It manifests itself most, when you're in neutral, depress the clutch pedal and putting it into reverse. If you depress pedal, give it a couple seconds, then engage reverse, it's all good.
I have spoken a number of times with the VW garage locally, and we also had it returned for work a number of times - they have replaced something in relation to clutch (afaik), replaced the actual reverse gear, and lately had the transmission completely replaced. However, the grinding noise persists.

Does anyone else experience this reverse grinding noise?

Thanks,
David

Impala

Re: Reverse Grinding Noise

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:55 pm

Never come across any posts relating to such a noise, apart from the grinding rear brake pads when reversing.

Is this with the car still stationary and the clutch fully depressed ?

Even if it was stationary and in neutral with the clutch pedal released, the input shaft to the gearbox would be turning at engine speed and may still turn somewhat as you depress the clutch. A grinding or grating noise when you then put it into gear would suggest a synchromesh problem with the reverse gear (if it has one for reverse), but replacing the entire gearbox would rule that out , so I wonder if anything in the gear lever linkage could be to blame.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Bigwheel

Post by Bigwheel » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:34 pm

My T-Roc 1.5 TFSI manual often does the same when selecting reverse at standstill.
Previous Audi A3 1.4 petrol manual did the same from new.
While it was in a VW garage being serviced, I went for a test drive with a mechanic. He agreed it crunched but tried other similar cars at the Dealership and said they all do it.
I asked him if he could bleed the clutch while it was on the ramp (it felt like there wasn't enough clutch clearance with the pedal on the floor) but he said it's not that simple, what with sensors in the clutch system.
So I just lived with it and developed a technique to slip the gear lever into reverse immediately before the wheels stopped going forwards. ie. while the gearbox shafts were still turning slightly.
There would be a "snick" rather than a longer "crunch".
1.5 SEL, Manual, Rear Camera, Lumbar Adjust, White Silver, Roof Rail Delete.
Kangaroo ECU update success Sept.'19
Ordered July '18, Collected January '19.

davagius

Post by davagius » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm

@impala - yes, fully stationary and clutch fully depressed, like when reversing out of a perpendicular parking.
I don't believe the transmission has synchromesh on reverse. From my very non-professional view, it seems like the shaft takes long to get to a halt when the clutch is depressed. Also for example, if before reversing out of the parking I first put it in first gear, then quickly remove first and engage reverse always with clutch depressed, it doesn't make any noises. The first gear synchromesh helps the whole operation to be smooth, by providing a stationary a shaft to engage reverse.

@bigwheel - I'm not sure if I'm glad or sorry to hear that you have had it too, with two cars from the same mother company! The VW garage also said that it's a common occurrence (in some, not in all!!). Not sure that gives me peace of mind really. Can't fathom how in 2021 a car is "ok" to grind on reverse. The last vehicles that had this 'feature' were the super old buses we had in Malta back in the 80s, and the buses were already 25yrs+ old by then!
I too have started to take corrective measures, by simply allowing for a couple seconds to pass from when I depress the clutch.

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:40 pm

This sounds like clutch drag (ie the clutch is not fully disengaging the drive) rather than a gearbox issue, and the syncromesh on the forward gears masks the problem. As there is no syncromesh for reverse, the gears grind unless you take other actions, as you do.

Have they tried replacing the clutch release bearing, actuator lever (perhaps it is flexing under load), checked clutch plate is free to slide along splines in drive shaft, checked/replaced clutch cable (if it has one, and checked outer cable is secured), master/slave cylinders, or even just adjusting the clutch ? I don't know if the T-Roc has a cable or hydraulic link between the pedal and the clutch actuator, so some of the things listed may not apply.

I would have thought this would be fairly easy for a good mechanic to diagnose and repair.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

john boy

Post by john boy » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:39 am

I have had this on older cars and cured it by replacing the clutch thrust bearing .

davagius

Post by davagius » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:27 am

thanks for the feedback everyone...at least I know mine is not an isolated issue.
I'll suggest to the VW garage what you guys are suggesting here (some of which they may have already tried/replaced)