Navigation Update Available

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
htpeargo

Re: Navigation Update Available

Post by htpeargo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:49 pm

Hi Impala I have the mib 3 Infotainment system Managed to download the Map updates to the card. Do you think you just copy the data on the card to the usb stick and then insert it in the car? Im stil waiting for someone to do a mib3 system. Ps Thanks for your help so far
Ordered 18th July
Build date w/c 14 sept
Troc Sel
Winter Pack
Side assist
Park assist
Sports Pack
Rear View Camera
Lumber support
Picked up 15oct 20

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:41 pm

twist

'Wonderful, more planned obsolescence and useless plastic pumped out by greedy companies too cheap to forward-think.'

Surely if you are updating like for like the card that came with your car is more than big enough. I'm in the UK and did that with no problems.

I use an app made by VW called DiscoverCare. It is linked to VWs site and notifies you when an update is available. It then makes a back up of your card, downloads the correct update and installs it on the card.

Simples!
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Indium Grey Metallic Black
Lumbar Support Reverse Camera
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:36 pm

Pine Man wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:41 pm
twist

'Wonderful, more planned obsolescence and useless plastic pumped out by greedy companies too cheap to forward-think.'

Surely if you are updating like for like the card that came with your car is more than big enough. I'm in the UK and did that with no problems.

I use an app made by VW called DiscoverCare. It is linked to VWs site and notifies you when an update is available. It then makes a back up of your card, downloads the correct update and installs it on the card.

Simples!

Unless they have improved it, VW DiscoverCare is painfully slow to download data and is often months behind the latest data that can be manually downloaded, and the backup & restore function didn't work when I tried it. Yes it will update like for like using the appropriate map bundle (read on), but anyone who might take their car to different parts of Europe could find their map data doesn't include all the countries they need.

VW created a problem by having copy protection on their SD cards and by fitting cards with barely sufficient capacity. On my Golf mk7 the card was only 8GB and the T-Roc is only 16GB, but the growth in the size of the map data has been far greater and faster than VW allowed for with the cards they fitted. You can only use the VW branded cards, so you can't just use any old 32GB or 64GB card as they won't be accepted by the Sat Nav in the car. The Mib3 units use an internal (probably solid-state) drive rather than an SD card and should be better off, but I've no idea what storage capacity is available and the Mib3 map data is already around 30GB and not even VW dealers have been able to update the maps.

The result of this is that VW have had to create various 'bundles' for European map data for Mib2 units which only cover a subset of countries. Some countries are included in several bundles which helps a bit, but there was one bundle (with a file prefix AS) which had the data for all EU countries and meant you could take your car anywhere across the EU and have all the local map data. Previous versions of the map data for that AS bundle just managed to squeeze onto a 16GB card but the new data just released has outgrown the card (again). The AS bundle was not installed as standard (on UK cars at least) but many owners updated their cars using that bundle so as to have the convenience and reassurance of knowing they had the maps for the whole of the EU.

Now you might need different bundles as you drive across Europe and the only convenient way to do that is to buy a 'spare' VW branded SD card and load it with a second bundle, then swap cards during your travels. I don't think VW will give you a branded 32GB card (if they even have one) in exchange for your current 16GB card. This is equivalent to Microsoft selling a computer which doesn't have enough storage for the full MS Office suite and you can install only a limited bundle of applications you need at the time, then have to change to a different bundle when you need to do something else. The cost differential to VW for a 32GB card vs a 16GB one would be peanuts, and the 32GB may even be cheaper as the rest of the market has moved on to larger capacity cards.

Producing a flakey tool to update the maps is only half a solution.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

twist

Post by twist » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Pine Man wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:41 pm
twist

Simples!
Yes but I was referring to the point being made about Region 1 not fitting on the 16GB card. So presumably you have to buy a larger card off VW?
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Impala

I must be lucky.

I was notified of the latest update two days ago by DiscoverCare and it took about an hour or so to carry out the operation leaving me with an updated card and a copy of the old software just in case. Clearly my needs don't go further than Europe so not a problem.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:45 pm

twist

Sorry I have no idea what Region 1 covers. My update is Europe as it was when I bought the car.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

twist

Post by twist » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Pine Man wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:45 pm
twist

Sorry I have no idea what Region 1 covers. My update is Europe as it was when I bought the car.
Ah, I thought Region 1 was Europe, never mind! Like I said, I’ve never actually really used the built-in satnav.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:23 pm

Pine Man wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:43 pm
Impala

I must be lucky.

I was notified of the latest update two days ago by DiscoverCare and it took about an hour or so to carry out the operation leaving me with an updated card and a copy of the old software just in case. Clearly my needs don't go further than Europe so not a problem.

There are 8 different map bundles 'covering' Europe. As your latest update fitted on to the 16GB card, then you must be using one of the subset bundles of which there are 3 which include the UK along with a 'selection' of other countries as follows;

Europe Bundle 2 : Andorra, Belgium, France, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain

Europe Bundle 6 : Andorra, Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta*, Monaco, Netherlands, San Marino, Switzerland, Vatican City

Europe Bundle 7 : Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden

You can see from the above selections, that Bundle 2 is needed if you want to go to Spain, Bundle 6 is needed for Austria and Bundle 7 is needed for Denmark. Yes some people will be lucky and get by with just one of those bundles.

But Region 1 which Twist referred to (and the AS bundle I referred to earlier) is Europe Bundle 1 and includes all of countries in bundles 2-7;

Europe Bundle 1 : Albania*, Andorra, Austria, Belarus*, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Bulgaria*, Croatia, Cyprus*, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia*, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo*, Latvia*, Liechtenstein, Lithuania*, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova*, Monaco, Montenegro*, Netherlands, Northern Macedonia*, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania*, Russia*, San Marino, Serbia*, Slovakia, Slovenia*, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey*, Ukraine*, Vatican City

* means partially

Why not keep things simple - fit a sufficient capacity card and use Bundle 1 in every car sold in Europe regardless of geography. VW could have saved money over the past 3 or 4 years from not having to produce and maintain all these separate bundles not to mention the production control logistics to create and fit the right one in the right cars.
Ordered 22/06/18

CTM

Post by CTM » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Sorry, I initially referred to Bundle 1 as Region 1 my mistake!

This was the version that originally came with the car so I have always used it.

At this update it exceeded the size of the original 16mb card for the first time, so had to get the GB maps using one of the other smaller bundles that also includes the GB.

There are VW 32gb cards available on eBay.
1.6TDi Manual SEL MY19 Ravenna Blue

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:38 pm

CTM wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 pm
There are VW 32gb cards available on eBay.

Note: This relates only to Mib2 navigation systems

Yes, there are some on eBay and even for new v14 map data, but beware that some of these are for one of the smaller bundles even though they say or even show a 32GB card.

The eBay listings may refer to Europe 1 but that is NOT Europe Bundle 1 as on the VW download site, it is Europe Bundle 2 (aka EU1) downloaded as DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1730_V14.7z from the download site. Europe Bundle 1 (aka AS and covering all European countries) is downloaded as DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z

The bundle and file naming confusion is typical of VW.

Look out for actual part numbers in the eBay listings. These can be found in the file 'maps\00\nds\dbinfo.txt' in each of the 7z files as follows;

For Europe Bundle 1 - DiscoverMedia2_EU-AS_1730_V14.7z
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="1730"
PartNumber2="5NA919866BK" Volkswagen
PartNumber3="5L0051236CH" Skoda/Audi ?
PartNumber4="6P0919866BT" Seat
PartNumber5="7CE919866BP" Skoda/Audi ?
SystemName="ECE AS 2022"

For Europe Bundle 2 - DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1730_V14.7z
ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="1730"
PartNumber2="5NA919866BH" Volkswagen models
PartNumber3="V03959809FT"
PartNumber4=""
PartNumber5=""
SystemName="ECE1 2022"
Ordered 22/06/18