Navigation Update Available

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
htpeargo

Re: Navigation Update Available

Post by htpeargo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:17 am

I Too have tried to update a mib3 in a Troc Downloaded the map update to the PC, sd card using discovercare copied files slo tried unzipping to usb stick. Put new 125gb usb stick into slot and still not loaded. I made sure the battery was fully charged using a Ctec Charger. Went to menu settings, software update, get drop down menu and tried others all to no avail. Ps s/w for sat nav is currently at 20.9
Ordered 18th July
Build date w/c 14 sept
Troc Sel
Winter Pack
Side assist
Park assist
Sports Pack
Rear View Camera
Lumber support
Picked up 15oct 20

htpeargo

Post by htpeargo » Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:20 am

Just a thought Having come from a ford and vw push free map upgrades in their selling info I wonder whether any one has tried to sue them ?
Ordered 18th July
Build date w/c 14 sept
Troc Sel
Winter Pack
Side assist
Park assist
Sports Pack
Rear View Camera
Lumber support
Picked up 15oct 20

john boy

Post by john boy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:29 am

How do I get a map upgrade as I haven't got an sd card slot on my nav system?

Buddy1

Post by Buddy1 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:12 am

Hi Everyone,
Just to follow on with Impala and his thought regarding a hidden button or press and hold to start the update, well I managed to enter the engineering/service mode by pressing and holding down the menu button for 30 secs, once in there you can display a few things but mainly it quite clearly shows no updates.
I have also got the media setting to display the usb-c stick and you can see all of the map files so the MIB 3 is reading the stick and can show the map files but nothing else.
I have tried as many buttons as possible including the press and hold but nothing I have tried will make it upload, I have attached some pics to show display settings.

20210711_114841.jpg

20210711_114933.jpg

20210711_114950.jpg

20210711_115110.jpg

1.5 T-Roc Sel Manual
Ravenna blue
Rear view camera
Ordered 22/07.2020
Collected 7/10/2020

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:38 pm

Progress of sorts Buddy1. Maybe there is a hidden button under the bonnet or in the spare wheel well - nothing would surprise me on this.

Interesting that your screen shot shows the navigation database is 21.2 - I think you previously stated in another topic that your nav database was 20.9, so does that mean that your map data has been updated over the air, or by some previous attempt with the USB stick that worked without you knowing ????

In the topic on the T-Cross forum linked above, they mention nav database 19.11 and 21.5 so that would make 4 versions in circulation, putting them in order as 19.11 , 20.9 , 21.2 and 21.5

And on an ID forum there is also mention of 20.7 , 21.2 and 21.3 I've checked the current download file for the ID3 and it is the Mib3 version and the same as for the T-Roc (EUR_6PR053_FCT3WS-201H0_Offline_Update.tar).

Lots of versions on Skoda forums too.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Stitch

Post by Stitch » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:01 am

Managed to get the map data base updated via USB drive for an Australian spec T-Roc with MIB3.

The Australian market does not use over the air updates yet, therefore navigation map updates need to be downloaded from the VW app-connect map site. https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go ... %20Updates
I then loaded this data onto a USB-C device, place it into the front USB-C slots and left it to update my system as per these instructions:
https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m...er_2020_EN.pdf
After about a week I checked the version information and had gone from 20.3 to 21.2.

Frustrating that unlike pervious generations of the MIB you can't see the progress. But in the end it did work for my particular model/market.
Stitch - 140TSI R-Line with the lot

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:07 pm

Thanks for that info Stitch.

I found the post (yours ?) on the Australian 'VWwatercooled' forum yesterday and I see another Australian owner has now updated that forum discussion and also reported similar success with the Mib3 map updates via usb.

Taken along with the reports on the Skoda forum by the Russian owner (and another in Czech Republic ?), this is highly significant and suggests that for some reason map updates can be done via USB when the car is offline (ie no e-SIM), or perhaps just car not registered with We Connect. It seems that We Connect connectivity is needed for over the air updates.

So for UK owners (& other countries where We Connect is available ?) this raises the question 'Has VW disabled the offline map updates via a usb memory stick ?'.

I know Buddy1 has been doing a lot of testing and head scratching over this issue and, although my car has an Mib2 unit, I have been trying to help find a solution. To try to answer the above question, we have been discussing via private email how to disable the eSIM and force the usb updates, so Buddy has tried setting his car to maximum privacy but found the usb update still didn't work. But reading your posts suggests that he needed to leave the usb stick connected for several days and maybe up to a week - the absence of any indication that an update is in progress is unforgivable. The VW update procedure says the data transfer (update) can be interrupted by switching off and parking but the transfer will resume from the point of interruption when the ignition is switched on again, so the time needed to complete the data transfer will vary according to how frequently and for how long the car is being driven.

If that doesn't work, then maybe someone will be willing to try removing their car (with Mib3) from their We Connect profile.

Unless anyone knows another way to disable the eSIM and over the air connectivity, we are rapidly running out of ideas.
Ordered 22/06/18

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:20 pm

Impala wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:07 pm
I know Buddy1 has been doing a lot of testing and head scratching over this issue............

Unless anyone knows another way to disable the eSIM and over the air connectivity, we are rapidly running out of ideas.
stitch updated his to 21.2 and Buddy1 already said his is at 21.2 🤔🤷‍♂️
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:02 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:20 pm
Impala wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:07 pm
I know Buddy1 has been doing a lot of testing and head scratching over this issue............

stitch updated his to 21.2 and Buddy1 already said his is at 21.2 🤔🤷‍♂️

I've asked Buddy to confirm that as he previously had an earlier version, so I suspect his, like others, has been updated over the air.

Anyway, this part of the discussion relates to the ability (or not) to update the maps on the Mib3 via a USB memory stick after downloading from the VW map updates web site, and so far Buddy and no other member, apart from theses recent reports from Russia and Australia, has been able to do that.

There are map versions more recent than 21.2 (see my earlier post) and I know Buddy has downloaded and been trying to install the latest version from the web site (released 2021/06/21). However, the web site only releases new versions twice per year, whereas the versions people are reporting suggest the OTA updates are every month, but many owners report that their cars are still stuck at a 2019 version so the OTA updates clearly don't work all the time either.

Map updates on the Mib3 are just one of the many problems being reported for this new Sat Nav across the entire VAG range. I'm thankful I have the Mib2, and as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. As for VW and the Mib3, it is broke and they can't or won't fix it.
Ordered 22/06/18

Lentis

Post by Lentis » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm

Who managed to update the mib3 via USB-C, what Hardware / Software / Device Part Number does it have?
The connectivity of the e-sim can be disabled from the radio menu, but now I don't remember the position of the option.
I noticed that since I inserted the USB-C, if from the We Connect application I send the destinations to the mib3 they are no longer loaded.
I also saw some POIs that I didn't have before (Burger King icon etc ...)