Navigation Update Available

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Impala

Re: Navigation Update Available

Post by Impala » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:46 pm

Lentis wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:50 pm
Who managed to update the mib3 via USB-C, what Hardware / Software / Device Part Number does it have?
The connectivity of the e-sim can be disabled from the radio menu, but now I don't remember the position of the option.
I noticed that since I inserted the USB-C, if from the We Connect application I send the destinations to the mib3 they are no longer loaded.
I also saw some POIs that I didn't have before (Burger King icon etc ...)

Here's a link to a Skoda forum ... https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/4 ... ate-mib-3/

Some of the key posts are from 'batal' who is in Russia and says he has updated using the usb. He has no over the air (OTA) capability or connection to We Connect via eSIM and so his updates MUST be via the USB. Suggest you read the whole discussion thread.

Here's a link to the Australian forum post which Stitch referred to above. I assume Stitch was the author and the post immediately after that is by a second Australian owner who also reports updating using usb ...
https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums ... ost1330263

Photos in these and other posts across different forums all seem to be showing the same Mib3 head unit software version (0270) shown in Buddy's pics.

I haven't made much use of downloading destinations to my Mib2 unit, but I seem to recall that once downloaded, they remained in My Destinations (under downloads ?) on the Sat Nav. I use a usb mobile wifi router in the car to provide an internet connection and I don't think my car can use its more limited eSIM for anything other than breakdown or emergency calls, but I don't think a live internet connection is required after downloading the destination. Mib3 may be different of course. It will not be possible to download new destinations without an internet connection, whetehr provided by a mobile wifi router or the enhanced eSIM used with Mib3.

As for new POIs, it seems that at least some, and perhaps many cars fitted with Mib3 units are being updated automatically in the background over the air. Unless you regularly check the map database version/date in your system information, these will most likely be unnoticed unless you spot a new road or a POI as in your case.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Stitch

Post by Stitch » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:20 pm
Impala wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:07 pm
I know Buddy1 has been doing a lot of testing and head scratching over this issue............

Unless anyone knows another way to disable the eSIM and over the air connectivity, we are rapidly running out of ideas.
stitch updated his to 21.2 and Buddy1 already said his is at 21.2 🤔🤷‍♂️
You need to be aware that my update to version 21.2 are the Australian maps, not European ones.
21.2 is the latest available on the VW download page.
The Australian maps is only about 1.8 GB so the speed it takes to upload into the MIB is also different to your Euro ones.

I left the USB stick in the car for a week that was driven a maximum of half an hour a day, it may work quicker if I had driven longer.
The USB stick was attached via an USB-C adaptor and has a flashing light inbuilt, I was able to see it initially flash on startup but nothing while driving (that I noticed).
Last edited by Stitch on Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stitch - 140TSI R-Line with the lot

Stitch

Post by Stitch » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:07 pm

Impala - Stitch and Flipper Dog are one and the same :)
Another thought is if someone in the UK could post a copy of their control units - Dashboard (17) and Multimedia (5F) from OBDeleven, I can compare it with my settings to see if there are any notable differences for a coding amendment.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm

Stitch wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 pm

You need to be aware that my update to version 21.2 are the Australian maps, not European ones.
Yes I was aware of that 👌

You're due another update now, looks like every map is now version 21.6 🤔

Screenshot_20210713_001621.jpg

September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Stitch

Post by Stitch » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:45 am

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:23 pm

You're due another update now, looks like every map is now version 21.6 🤔
Thanks, but for some strange reason the Jun 2021 maps I downloaded are really from Feb 2021. I don't think my region get monthly updates, only twice yearly.
Up until last month the latest version for MIB3 were 12 months old and really MIB2.5 ones.

Doc777

Post by Doc777 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:28 am

Hey crew,

I was able to successfully use the instructions Stitch (Flipper Dog at VWWatercooled ) provided to update my MIB3 to latest Aus maps. At the dealership yesterday, they were also able to update the system software package to 0278, although I probably wouldn't have bothered had I not arranged it previously (the car needed a visit to the dealer to have front window tint film replaced due to a fault with the film).

What will be interesting is the next update in 6 months or so - whether the different system software version makes any difference to the USB-C map update process (noting that like Stitch, I am also an Aussie and we have a different map update cycle to our Euro and British friends).

At the moment though, all is good. All my info was retained in the system following the system update, however one OBDEleven config was lost - I now get the nav 'nag screen' again when I start the car. I'll plug in the OBDEleven tonight and code that out again.

Lentis

Post by Lentis » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:20 am

Impala wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:46 pm
OK thanks.
So they have the same Device Number / Hardware / Software as ours, in theory it should work with the europe map as well.
If it doesn't work, you will have to try to disable the e-sim connection.

Lentis

Post by Lentis » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:20 pm

But do I have to use the navigator / display it in the aid?