"share my position" message won't go away

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
soolin1972

"share my position" message won't go away

Post by soolin1972 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:37 am

Hi

Whenever i start my infotainment system, i get the message:

"data transfer is currently set to "share my position". you can find out what this setting entails and how ti change it in the control centre"

The message is very annoying as I have to hit OK each time - does anyone know how to turn it off?

Thanks so much

Geebee

Re: "share my position" message won't go away

Post by Geebee » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Hi

Have you found a solution to this pop-up appearing when you start the car?

I cant seem to find out how to stop the message appearing or even if it's the same for all users.

Thanks

sametdo

Post by sametdo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pm

I created a user profile (with privacy level set within). I no longer see the privacy setting message and instead it asks me if I want to connect to my profile (a quick yes and this message is gone).
T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: White Silver
Upholstery: Flint Grey/Titanium Black

Ordered - 21/4/20
BW39 (w/c 21/9)
Delivered 13 October 2020

twist

Post by twist » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 pm

sametdo wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:03 pm
I created a user profile (with privacy level set within). I no longer see the privacy setting message and instead it asks me if I want to connect to my profile (a quick yes and this message is gone).
Where do you make the profile? In the car’s infotainment system?
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:51 pm

twist wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:08 pm
Where do you make the profile? In the car’s infotainment system?

Yes. The default profiles are named Driver 1, Driver 2 etc. but you can personalise these to use names of your choice (eg His and Hers or Harry and Sally etc.).

I did this for my 2019 car and set up profiles for myself and my wife. It works best if you associate a profile with a different key so that the profile is automatically selected by which key is used to unlock the car. It's optional, but if you don't associate the profiles with the keys, then you have to select one from a list when you switch the ignition on - I think you can have up to four.

These profiles are nothing to do with 'driving profiles' (Normal, Sport, ECO etc.) but they allow you to customise various settings that are stored in the profile, such as radio stations, dipping near-side mirror, air-con etc. It may also be possible to associate a particular mobile phone with a profile, but I haven't tried that.

The only thing you have to avoid is unlocking the car with one key then locking it with another, as the settings at the time of locking are always stored in the profile for the key used to lock the car, so you end up over-writing the settings for the second key with those from the first.

This has been covered in several old topics.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:16 pm

Geebee wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Hi

Have you found a solution to this pop-up appearing when you start the car?

I cant seem to find out how to stop the message appearing or even if it's the same for all users.

Thanks

I think there is a legal requirement to display these messages thanks to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and you are not allowed to record or transmit someone's GPS location without their knowledge and permission. Its documented in the Owner's Manual if you examine it in detail. Read the section 'Data Transfer/Volkswage We Connect/Legal Requirements'
Ordered 22/06/18

Geebee

Post by Geebee » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 pm

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I will try checking the user profile. I am primary user but maybe i missed something regarding the profile set up.

Must admit i'm not impressed with the infotainment, weconnect and privacy settings stuff.

I would like the voice control not to be a paid for option and the sat nav to accept post code routes without calling them 'offroad' with co-ordinates.

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:38 pm

Geebee wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:08 pm
I will try checking the user profile. I am primary user but maybe i missed something regarding the profile set up.

Like all things related to VW, confusion and poor documentation are the order of the day.

There are 2 sections in the Owner's Manual which relate to user accounts and personalisation;

Driver information / Infotainment system controls and displays / Personalisation
This describes how you can personalise vehicle settings, and associate these with We Connect user accounts and use automatic key assignment.

Data transfer
Again, info is spread over several sub-topics, so you need to review the following sub-sections;

- Volkswagen We Connect
- User administration

On older cars like mine, the user/driver names and all the personalised settings are stored in the car and loaded either manually by selecting the user/driver name from a list displayed when the ignition is switched on, or automatically if the user/driver names have been assigned to keys.

Newer cars have a much more complex system which uses a mixture of We Connect and in-car memory to store user names and personalised settings. In addition to the complexity creating different types and roles of users, We Connect relies on the car having an Internet connection and so the Privacy settings can interfere with the We Connect functions available and so affect the personalisation capabilities. If Internet access is available, We Connect user accounts allow your personalised settings to be used in different cars and changes made in one car will be synchronised across all the others. This is good for families who own several VW cars used by multiple family members but it illustrates the growing dependence on Internet access and services, which may not be to everyone's liking and it also introduces further data privacy risks as We Connect stores a lot of information about your driving style, speed, location etc. Maximum privacy mode blocks this, but then you lose the additional functions, so it's swings and roundabouts.
Ordered 22/06/18