Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

1M views 3K replies 222 participants last post by  VWMan 
#1 ·
As a foreword I'm going to say I love my TROC, it's one of the best driving cars i've ever had. However is it just me or do other 1.5 EVO drivers find the TROC can kangaroo a bit in 1st gear if you don't time the clutch and accelerator perfectly?

Never had this problem with any other car and I drive a lot of different cars. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Reactions: Jwce
#3 ·
I love my Troc too, but am also struggling with kangaroo take offs.....my previous car had a long, flexible 1st gear whereas the Troc seems short and tight by comparison. As mentioned above I understand I need to perfect the timing of clutch and accelerator, it just seems a little unforgiving in the meantime.

#11 ·
Following on from my first post I think I've nailed it now. It is all about timing the clutch right but applying a bit more juice just nano seconds before hitting the biting point for a smooth pull away. It's not a fix but it's a work around.

Still loving the admiring glances from other motorists especially with the sun out today. The TROC is sexy car

#12 ·
Hi everyone, I've had my software update carried out today and it was related to the 'Front lane assist ' and the 'Adaptive cruise control'. Has made no difference to the kangaroo 1st gear issue although I mentioned it to the service advisor who admitted he had not heard of any issues in relation to this problem. Ah well, perseverance maybe required and hope, with mileage, it will sort itself out.

#14 ·
No more posts, is everyone happy now? Hasn't anyone physically had their car checked out. I would volunteer but I've had a heated discussion on another matter. I did actually phone about this issue to be told to go and try different ways of driving for a few days. That didn't go down to well with me as I've 53 years experience on 2 and 4 wheels including 170mph superbikes.
Do not put up with this fuelling glitch, 25 grand is expensive for a camel.

#16 ·
Sorry guys when I said 25 grand is expensive for a camel I meant kangaroo. The way it works with a franchise is that your car has to be tested, a fault found and corrected before anything is logged. The more people complain it will stop the service guy fobbing us of with " I've not heard of that before".

#18 ·
Yes I have done the same but it's like finesse against brute force. I usually pull away with just a whiff of throttle. The T-roc requires a bit more revs. Like other posts my car surges in first gear from cold on low revs when manoeuvering, no hanky panky can get over this.

#19 ·
Evening all,

I didn't want my first post to be a negative one, apart from the saying hello in the Introductions section ;) I made up with the car but I too have kangaroo'd down the road like a learner on more than a few occasions! At first I thought it was just me, I'd come out of Golf GTD with oceans of torque and figured I just needed to get used to a punchy TSI.

I've had my T-Roc since the beginning of April and I still get caught out occasionally when pulling off the drive or from the lights, town driving was a bit exciting to start with! Things have definitely improved in the warmer weather and a change in driving style means my skippy impressions are less frequent. I've tried all the different driving modes and have settled on an Individual setting rather than Sport which I was using at first. Once on the move the T-Roc is great to drive, a good motorway cruiser and can be fun on a fast(ish) A & B road blast even in SEL spec. I will see how it goes for awhile longer before considering whether to say anything to the dealer.

Keep on Roc-ing

#20 ·
I have the same with my T-Roc. Thought indead I had the learn a VW (first one). Have driven now about 3.000 km.

There is been talking about a software update. Which update is it? And did it work?

#21 ·
The beast awakens,another two posts with the fuel problem. But still no positive feedback from any car being in the workshop.
I don't understand it, if it was a fridge or washing machine we would all have the man in.
I phoned VW UK to see if they had any feedback on this issue, they hadn't. The representative I spoke to was sorry to hear of my problem and suggested I visit my dealer to look into the matter.
VW won't do anything about it unless we all complain ( look at the latest BMW fiasco).
I don't see this problem as a blot on my ability. As I've said before 25 grand should buy perfection not something to be worked around.

#25 ·
Just read in latest Caravan and Motorhome Club mag, who have tested the Skoda Karoq 1.5 tsi, quote "...the light throttle pedal and distant engine note made it initially challenging to judge appropriate engine speeds when pulling away and often resulted in 'shunty' progress in low-speed queues".
So not just the 1.5 T-Roc kangaroo-ing then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.