1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
twist

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by twist » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:23 pm

Musicegbdf wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:02 pm
Think My20
Disappointing. Mine is a MY20 (I rejected my MY19 due to the kangaroo problem) and for the first few months it did not exhibit the issue but a few times it has done SOMETHING. I can’t say for sure if it’s the roo or just me being a bit too enthusiastic with a cold DSG box but it was very similar to the roo on my rejected car, just much, much milder. If it stays like this and is as infrequent, I won’t bother fussing.

Very disappointing your daughter is suffering twice though. Is it a DSG or manual?
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:39 pm

It is a manual. She had a slight Roo from new , but didnt do anything as there was a lot going on in her life.
It has got worse and she needs to get to work ( teacher)
I lent her a car today ( Up) and she just phoned she left the lights on all day ! So her husband is on the way to jump start the Up.

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Ok she is getting the usual runaround. They cannot find a fault. Have told to ask them if they loaded the software update when the services it a few months back.
I am thinking we have an excellent indy near us who are VW Germany approved and might ask if they are warranty approved .if so I trust them totally after same poor service from audi main dealers.

twist

Post by twist » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:02 pm

Musicegbdf wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:20 pm
Ok she is getting the usual runaround. They cannot find a fault. Have told to ask them if they loaded the software update when the services it a few months back.
I am thinking we have an excellent indy near us who are VW Germany approved and might ask if they are warranty approved .if so I trust them totally after same poor service from audi main dealers.
Precisely the attitude that has made up my decision to enjoy my T-Roc, but enjoy it as the last new VAG car I own. It seems the further you go back, the more reliable they are and the better they were built.

Good luck and I hope your indy has a modicum of honesty, unlike the main dealerships.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:11 pm

Yes I paid Audi to service my Haldex on my audi s3. When I had the indy check it a month later they showed me a picture of the haldex filter completely clogged. Main dealer changes the oil but not clean the filter. He told me they are fitting new pumps all the time for cars out of warranty fuel to dealer not cleaning the filter. They also helped me with problems with vw in the past. My daughter has said that was it with VAG . She loves the car , but too much hassle.
I am thinking of Lexus next time for me.

ucas98

Post by ucas98 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Not a T-Roc, but have been following this thread recently as I've been having a somewhat related experience:

Spec: VOLKSWAGEN GOLF EST 1.5 TSI EVO 150 GT DSG
Model Year: 2018
Engine: DADA
Current mileage: ~26,000 miles

October 2017
Car purchased

November 2018
First service

November 2019
Second service
Juddering on start mentioned, no fix applied

23rd October 2020
Third service (first MOT)
Juddering on start and leaking sunroof mentioned
TPI 2048749/10 applied
Resulting in ECU version changing from 4937 to 9622

24rd October 2020
Sluggish acceleration noted as result of ECU change
Fuel consumption (MPG) has noticeably increased
Engine noise has noticeably increased, especially on start
Engine behaviour has changed (hard to quantify, but it doesn't feel as responsive)

19th November 2020
Diagnostic service
No errors found
Technicians state that ECU changes cannot be changed back retrospectively

20th November 2020
VW warranties advises us to contact the original retailer, before escalation

Essentially our stance now is:
We weren’t happy with the juddering of the engine on cold starts, and it was getting worse
But we are now not happy with the fix VW has applied
From VW’s point of view, the engine has no errors, and they won't be found if checked again
But as owners and users of the car we have noticed the drops in performance
Lower MPG is based on objective fact, not subjective opinion
We want to know what sort of resolutions might be open to us from original dealer (if any), before we pursue further with VW corporate / warranties

Sorry for the somewhat pedantic timeline, but I copied it from a personal doc we are using to track the issue. Thought you all might be interested in the details from a Golf DSG point of view.

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm

Usual excuses. They plug in , see no errors and move on.
My daughter cannot be bothered with them anymore , and said she will live with it for a couple of years and never buy any VW product again .
She will also tell all her friends to avoid them .

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi ucas98 - strange that your car was OK for the first 1-2 years. I assume you are in the UK.

I would try to get confirmation that the ECU update ( I assume it was just software ) was correct for your car based on its VIN. On the the T-Roc there have been lots of software updates and they aren't all applicable on all cars, for example some are specifically for manual and some for DSG as well as different Model Years. I believe some didn't apply to MY18 cars but did apply to MY19 (and vice versa) even though they had the same DADA engine.

My car had its first service in May this year and an engine (ECU) software update was applied. I have never had any kangaroo issue since the car was new and the softwre update didn't make any significant difference, although the DSG gear changes might be slightly smoother. As we were in lockdown from March to June (Scotland), and our driving has been mostly short trips since then, it's hard to say if the mpg is any better or worse since the update. The 2 highest figures were for long runs of 200+ miles.

Do you keep records of your fuel usage and mpg figures ? I have done this for all my cars for many years and they all show quite a lot of fluctuation due to weather conditions, types of journeys and time of year etc. My T-Roc is also a 1.5 TSI EVO 150 DSG but mine is MY19.

The chart below shows my actual brim-to-brim mpg figures for my T-Roc just to give an idea of the variations I'm seeing;

MPG.png

1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Deleted User 925

Post by Deleted User 925 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Musicegbdf wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
Usual excuses. They plug in , see no errors and move on.
My daughter cannot be bothered with them anymore , and said she will live with it for a couple of years and never buy any VW product again .
She will also tell all her friends to avoid them .
I was always told years ago "never buy a car that's a new model"
Give it a few years until they've ironed out the faults.

Guess what, I went ahead and bought one anyway :?

It was definitely good advice in hindsight.

If I were in your shoes I'd cut my losses and blow it out but it just depends how bad your problem is?

Mine had a very intermittent kangaroo which literally only done it now and again when cold and only for the first minute or two.
I could live with it!

I have since had the software update but I'm not driving much to know if its better or worse?
Did have one episode a couple of days after the update, funnily enough on a warm day, none since.

Sanchez999

Post by Sanchez999 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:56 am

Now that its colder outside i notice i don't have the problem as much as before, or to be more precise it seems to be gone. Driven 45.000Km with the car. Besides the regulare software updates i had a leakage in the Pressure group of the clutch. They changed a couple of bearings and earlier the flywheel (google translation, hoop its the correct name for the part).
Don't know what made the problem disappear, maybe some wear of the clutch/engine over time, the new parts or the software.
T-roc Sport (SEL)1.5 manual in Ravenna Blue with advanced, winter & executive package, blind spot detection and 17 inch kulmbach adamatium
- Ordered end oct 2018 in NL
- Collected mid june 2019