1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Bellasdad

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by Bellasdad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm

Just to resurrect this Dodo of a thread with a simple question.
What has happened to all the rejected kangarooing T rocs and why isn’t this forum full of second hand owners complaining about the problem?
Has VW waved a magic wand and made it all just disappear?
I’m genuinely interested to know what has happened with this issue, it was such a big problem for so many owners back in the day and attracted a few colourful characters to join in the sometimes heated debate.
The good old days, happy times :mrgreen:
T-Roc R Line 1.5 manual. White silver with black roof.

T-Roc Se 1.5 manual.
Indium grey.
Reverse camera.
Winter pack.
Electric tailgate.
Keyless entry.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm
😂🤣😂🤣

A very good question 🤔

I haven't done much driving since I had my software update to see if it worked but then again mine was never that bad and I could have lived with it anyway 🤷‍♂️
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

twist

Post by twist » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
What has happened to all the rejected kangarooing T rocs and why isn’t this forum full of second hand owners complaining about the problem?
I’m genuinely interested to know what has happened with this issue, it was such a big problem for so many owners back in the day and attracted a few colourful characters to join in the sometimes heated debate.
Well mine was sold to another customer a week after the rejection was processed. And it was advertised for MORE than I paid for it 6 months prior! No mention of it being faulty of course!

I suspect it was only a very small minority of sufferers who made it onto this forum (or posted). There was another 1.5 R-line near me but that disappeared shortly after mine was rejected.

There are probably a lot more owners out there with them and they just put up with it.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 pm

Mine is a June 2018 model and I have noticed the last few weeks it has started to do this.
It’s very minor and unless your looking for it you wouldn’t notice.
Maybe the DSG gearbox hides it but I have noticed and look for it now.
I have traded it in for a Golf 8 in March .
It’s a long line of things I just don’t like about the car.
Mainly the stop start it is just crap.

twist

Post by twist » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 pm
Mine is a June 2018 model and I have noticed the last few weeks it has started to do this.
You know the Golf 8 has stop start too right? I would wager it works exactly the same way as well. Unless you’ve experienced it and it’s somehow different?

Also the DSG doesn’t hide it really - well my DSG didn’t anyway. I think it’s more to do with how you use the throttle. My experience is I f you don’t give enough gas at low speeds it seems to happen more often. There are obviously more variables but I think that’s one of the key ones.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sure you can just turn it off, unless of course you really want start/stop on your cars 🤔

Funnily enough I was always told not to buy a new model in any make of car until they'd ironed out all the faults a couple of years later & I didn't listen. 🤷‍♂️

I hope the golf 8 works out 🤞
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:33 am

twist wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
You know the Golf 8 has stop start too right? I would wager it works exactly the same way as well. Unless you’ve experienced it and it’s somehow different?

Also the DSG doesn’t hide it really - well my DSG didn’t anyway. I think it’s more to do with how you use the throttle. My experience is I f you don’t give enough gas at low speeds it seems to happen more often. There are obviously more variables but I think that’s one of the key ones.
Yes but I just turn it off anyway.
But why have a system the driver can’t control that’s not to much to ask for imo.

Guy I play golf with works for a main dealer he offered me a deal I just can’t say no to.
The roc is a really nice comfortable car and I might buy another in a few years.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
If I were a Dealer, I'd simply resell a dud on an 'as seen' basis. A quick polish and these cars would effectively be brand new with low mileage. When the roo is noted on a test run, a clinch-the-deal financial incentive could be offered to buyer.

People will put up with stuff if they can save a few bob. A new car owner, on the other hand, paid full price for a faulty product.

Dealer gets rid of a dud. VW don't have the headache of returned cars. No magic wand needed.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:50 am

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm

I haven't done much driving since I had my software update to see if it worked but then again mine was never that bad and I could have lived with it anyway 🤷‍♂️
So the software update 100% didn't work, at least in the warm/hot weather 🤷‍♂️
I'm having a very noticeable kangaroo everyday for the first half mile I drive my car, basically when I start off and taking off at the first set of traffic lights.
Funnily enough it's only when I'm coming home from work & not in the morning when it's cooler 🤔

I think my job change and route may have highlighted it more I.e not a straight run for a couple of miles for the engine to warm up?
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

twist

Post by twist » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:18 am

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:50 am
Deleted user 925 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm

So the software update 100% didn't work, at least in the warm/hot weather 🤷‍♂️
I'm having a very noticeable kangaroo everyday for the first half mile I drive my car, basically when I start off and taking off at the first set of traffic lights.
Funnily enough it's only when I'm coming home from work & not in the morning when it's cooler 🤔

I think my job change and route may have highlighted it more I.e not a straight run for a couple of miles for the engine to warm up?
Weird eh? They claim it was on a “cold” start. I know they mean “cold start” in the literal sense of the engine oil temperature and not entirely the ambient temperature but still: you’d think high ambient heat would help, rather than hinder the issue.

My MY2020 is still a bit “excitable” during cold start but so far it has not lurched into full kangaroo territory yet (and fingers crossed it stays that way as I will lose my mind if it gets as bad as the first car).